New Recycling Bins are Here!
How did this come to be?
The Borough has purchased new recycling containers for all residential properties. This purchase was due largely in part to a $264,000 grant obtained from the PA Department of Environmental Protection. Part of the reason for acquiring the grant was to replace the old containers with ones that allow for automated collection by the Borough’s refuse hauler, currently Waste Management, and for future collectors. Switching to automated collection is a cost savings for the Borough since the hauler can now perform this task with less personnel and much less injury risk which in turn costs the Borough less. Over time, this will allow for the fund savings to be allocated and utilized for other services within the Borough. The recycling bin company is tasked with assembling and distributing one recycling container to each residential property. Each individual container will have a unique bar code on it that identifies that container with your address. So, if it is ever lost in a weather-related event it can be returned to its rightful property.
What is the next step?
Attached to each container is an instructional packet for care, use and placement, along with a reminder of what is to be placed in this recycle container. Distribution of these containers should be completed sometime the week of June 15, barring any unforeseen weather or other issues. Therefore, you should begin using these new containers starting the week of June 22, 2020.
*(In the packet, it explains where and how the container should be placed at your properties edge in conjunction with the street. You must comply with the enclosed packet instructions, or Waste Management will not collect the recycling. Remember these are for recycling use only).
Need more info?
For more information about the new recycling containers, or answers to many general recycling concerns, please visit the following link on our website: http://www.baldwinborough.org/157/Solid-Waste-Recycling
Should you have any additional questions regarding the containers please call the Borough offices at 412-882-9600 extension 252.
The Borough would like to address a few frequently asked questions/comments regarding the new recycling bins:
1. HOW TO DISPOSE OF THE OLD BINS?: Please place the old bin out for Waste Management to pick up. If possible, please attach a note saying “PLEASE TAKE.” (It was originally suggested to place the old bins in the new bins for recycling, but we have learned that the old bins must be picked up with garbage).
2. ARE THERE DIFFERENT SIZES AVAILABLE?: No, 48 Gallon bins are the only size.
3. THE NEW BIN IS TOO LARGE: The new bin has a similar footprint to the older bin with the exception of the height allowing residents to “wheel” instead of “carry” the bin to the curb. Please see the pictures that show the size comparison.
4. THE NEW BIN IS TOO SMALL: Your name can be placed on a list for residents requesting a 2nd recycling bin. Cost or distribution TBD.
5. WILL RESIDENTS BE RECEIVING GARBAGE BINS TOO?: No, the Borough received a grant that allowed us to purchase the recycling bins. The Borough does not have plans or funding to purchase garbage bins.
VIEW THE MOST RECENT AUTOMATED RECYCLING INFORMATION ON THE FOLLOWING FLYER: AUTOMATED RECYCLING INFO