January 10, 2022 8:00 AM
Low Income Household Water Assistance Program
The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a temporary emergency program to help low-income families pay overdue water and wastewater bills. LIHWAP is a grant. You do not have to repay it.
HOW DOES LIHWAP WORK?
LIHWAP grants may be available if you have an emergency situation and are in jeopardy of losing your utility service. You can receive one crisis grant for your drinking water service and one grant for your wastewater service, up to $2,500 each. The program opens starting January 4, 2022.
CRISIS SITUATIONS INCLUDE:
• Past-due water and/or wastewater bills.
• Termination of utility service.
• Danger of having utility service terminated (received a notice that service will be shut off within the next 60 days).
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
You may qualify for LIHWAP if:
• You must have an overdue water and/or wastewater bill that you are responsible for paying.
• You don’t have to be on public assistance.
• You can rent or own your home.
• Your household income meets the following income guidelines.